|Dynamism of a dog on a Leash (1912) Giacomo Balla|
|RMB City (2007-9) Cao Fei|
1. What and when was the Industrial Revolution?
Both paintings featured on this blog, that are from the early 1900s were painted by Modernist painters from the group called 'Futurists'. The Futurists celebrated the machine, and objects in motion. Their primary objective was to depict movement, which they saw as symbolic of their commitment to the dynamic forward thrust of the 20th century.
2. Research both Modernist paintings in order to comment on the subject matter, form and style used to celebrate the machine and motion in each painting. Answer the question in 2 parts for each painting.
Cao Fei's RMB City (2007-9) refers to China's recent rapid industialisation and urbanization.
3. Research Cao Fei's RMB City (2007-9) in order to comment on this work in more depth.
i.e describe the images that has she used in her digital collage that refer to China's present and history, and explain why has she used these images.
4. RMB City is described as a utopia/dystopia. Comment on what these terms mean, and how they can be applied to the work.
5. Although the Modernist paintings and the contemporary digital work have emerged from
different contexts, there are also many similarities. Comment on the similarities that you can see in the work. Look at the moving digital image at vimeo.com/4272260, if you have not
already researched it.
6. Comment on other student's blogs.